And here are my little super heroes about to leave for the party:
|Apparently these are superhero poses...(!)|
I bought red tights and red long sleeved tops in the appropriate sizes from Target. I used black underpants they already had over them and tucked the tops into the tights (nice...). Then added some lycra knee-highs which are adult sized but still worked doubled over at the top for the "boots".
The crafty bit was to make their masks and the Incredibles logo. For the mask I traced an existing mask we had onto two layers of soft black jersey which I had fused together. I wanted the masks to be soft and mould to their faces as much as possible. I satin stitched just inside the traced edge and the eye openings, then simply carefully cut away as close to the stitching as possible without actually snipping any of it. I sewed some elastic on both sides and also coloured in around the cut edge with black marker, as the white interfacing layer in the middle was showing a bit.
For the logo I used some fusible web to adhere a yellow oval onto the shirt. Then cut a smaller black oval, which I cut in half and offset the two halves so one was nearer the top and one nearer the bottom and fused them in place. Then fused the bottom of the i shape and the dot on top of those; and finally fused a white dot onto the centre of the yellow dot. And that was it!
I love these costumes - they were really quick to make (assuming you can find the basics underneath pre-made), and looked fantastic. They were also comfortable for the kids to wear, which a lot of ready made costumes aren't.
And most importantly, they were very happy with them!
|I promise Marcus was happy, he just doesn't look it here...|