Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Things I didn't get around to posting yet #4 - made up maxi skirt

I have wanted a maxi skirt for a while now.  I tried to buy a cheapy one in Target but they didn't have the colour I wanted in my size.  Then I kind of remembered I could just make one up!  So here is the made-up maxi skirt:



I took the leftovers of this top and this dress and decided to sew them together for a stripey pop of colour.  I had to work with tiers made of whatever width remained of the fabrics (I didn't have much left) and similarly the design was somewhat dictated by which fabrics I had more or less of.

Despite the restricted choices the process of making it was simple and it felt good to be thriftily using up the remains of other projects (plus I love the teal and the stripe and they worked really well together too).  I  just made up a rough plan as follows:

  1. Measure waist.  Add a couple of inches.  Divide by two and then add 1 inch (for seam allowance - 1/2 each side).  This is the width of all the tier pieces except the top and bottom tiers.  Note this is a bit restrictive to walk fast in, but I don't really care :)  A-line would solve this but I didn't have enough fabric.
  2. Measure length of waist to floor.  Divide by number of tiers wanted (for me this was determined by number of tiers possible from the fabric more than anything else). Add 1 inch for seam allowance.  This is the height of all tiers except top and bottom.
  3. Add an extra 1/2 inch to the bottom tier height.  There is already a 1/2 inch seam allowance top and bottom allowed, so this lets you turn up 1/2 inch and then 1/2 inch again for the hem.
  4. Add an extra 2 inches or so to the height of the top tier.  How much you add here depends on two things:  A) whether you want the height of the top tier to be the same as the rest including the waistband, or whether you want it to be additional which makes the top tier appear larger than the others and B) the height of your elastic.  This allows for a casing where you fold over 1/4 inch, then folded down by a little more than the elastic height to the inside, then stitch around to form the casing (leaving a gap for elastic threading).
Note that these measurements are very fudgeable (technical term!) - this is pretty much a sew-a-tube-out-what-you-have sort of project - it could be wider, shorter, uneven tiers etc and would still be great I think.

And here it is again - because I like it :)





No comments:

Post a Comment