Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from October, 2011

Gemma's "Issy Dress"

So the first ever clothes pattern that I have made up from scratch (well the first one I count as a proper pattern) is Issy's Dress.  My friend Lis liked Issy's dress (size 5 ish) enough to request a size 3 for her daughter Gemma.  This is the ultimate compliment :) and here is the result:  


The fabric is one of the Sherbert Pips range by Aneela Hoey for Moda.  Most of this range is super gorgeous and the different colourways cater for pretty much every taste.  Often ranges are just super girlie and pink (which is catered for in this range also) whereas this one also includes greys and reds and fabrics which are just a bit different.

I chose to bind the sleeves and skirt hem in a plain cherry red, which was also used for the outside of the waist elastic casing.  This dress is actually made as a shirt and top which are joined as part of making the elastic for the waist.  I managed to make it so there were no seams from the waist casing inside which was nice (I mucked that up o…

Molly's Monster

Another one from the The Big Book of Knitted Monsters for Molly, sister of Harry who got the Dress-Up Box Monster back in June.
This is Leila and Lydia, the Mamma and Baby Monsters.   


As you can see, they are a bit cute :)

There was supposed to be another baby in the other pocket (Lucas, I believe...) but I liked the idea of one better, so that the other pocket could be for whatever other treasures it was necessary to carry around.  Plus the baby can be swapped between pockets etc.

I am not sure what they will end up being called yet, but the little lady recipient is already sleeping with Mamma monster next to her and Baby monster clutched tightly in her hot little hand.

Again, both toys were easy to knit and the instructions were mostly pretty good.  I get a bit annoyed when a book specifies a particular technique and don't detail how-to (in this case, the three needle bind-off) but generally these are a great knit and definitely a hit :)
One monster to go (this family has thre…

Quick bubble skirt

I made this in about an hour after finishing Issy's sundress.  This is the Make It Perfect Playtime Skort pattern.



I made it in a slightly stretchy fabric I picked up a spotlight (no idea what it is...).  You can't really see it here but in amongst the lines is actually a flowery pattern - quite subtle but a bit of a change from the usual fairies and princess ballerinas.  
I think you could make this in a normal non-stretch woven easily - it is reasonably generous and the waist is elasticated anyway.  I chose to make the stand alone skirt (you can make one with inbuilt shorts but they seemed a bit pointless).  The "bubble" is created by a difference between the lining and outer skirts.  The outer is longer, and is looped up underneath to meet the lining, then a thin elastic sewn into the seam.  I like it and Issy seems to find it comfy.  The only real change I made was to bring the waist up (it's kind of a drop waist thing) as she tends to push it down under her …